Today is my birthday! I am officially 20 years old and I have 20 years of experience in this wonderful world. Granted, 20 years is not too long, but as I enter the 20th year of my life, I wanted to document 20 things that I’ve learnt so far. So, let’s begin.
1. Looking after yourself is the most important thing. (You can’t pour from an empty cup!)
2. Some people simply aren’t worth worrying about.
3. You cannot (and shouldn’t) tell someone how to feel.
4. It’s okay to like being alone.
5. Love doesn’t have an age requirement (or limit).
6. Older people aren’t always wiser.
7. Books are the best way to learn empathy and compassion.
8. It’s okay not to have loads of friends, the ones that matter are the important ones.
9. Hard work doesn’t always pay off.
10. It’s okay to take a break sometimes.
11. Pressure isn’t always good.
12. Peeing after sex is the best way to avoid a UTI.
13. It’s okay for your beliefs and values to change.
14. Clubbing is not all that it’s hyped up to be.
15. Doing your makeup and making your bed every morning makes you 10x more confident for the day.
16. The biggest joy often comes from the smallest of things.
17. Naps are THE BEST THING.
18. Social media isn’t real.
19. Being your own best friend is completely okay.
20. It’s okay not to know where to go from here. You’re only 20. You’ve still got plenty of time to find where you need to be.
Thanks for reading, and here’s to the next 20 years!